I spoke with TJ Holmes from CNN yesterday on steps you can take to go green by Earth Day 2011! In case you miss it on CNN here it is!
I start the Sunday before Earth Day and share my top things you can do to become more eco-friendly in time for Earth Day on Friday.
1. Sunday – Heating & Cooling. Install a smart programmable thermostat in your house. You literally save hundreds of dollars every degree you minimize.
2. Monday – Compost & Garden. Composting is an economical way to get rid of your biodegradable waste resulting in rich, fertile soil for your garden.
3. Tuesday – Cleaning Supplies. There are lots of eco-friendly alternatives out there but for pennies on the dollar you can make your own cleaners at home the old-fashioned way with vinegar, lemon and baking soda.
4. Wednesday – Reusable Water Bottles. Save your money and the earth by purchasing a water filtering pitcher for your home and reusable water bottles, instead of buying plastic bottles.
5. Thursday – Water Consumption. Reduce your water bill and carbon footprint by taking shorter showers, turning the water off while you’re brushing your teeth and installing a lo-flow showerhead.
6. Friday – LED Lights. Today, there are many alternatives out there for lighting your home. One of my favorites are LED lights, these lights save 90% more energy, which results in lower bills for you!
So remember by making a few small adjustments we can all save more, use less and have a happier, greener planet.